Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Trip To Brasov

Last Friday, we got up at 4 am to catch our 5:30am train to Bucharest, then from Bucharest went to Brasov, a touristy town in the Transylvania region or Romania.















I was pretty excited, especially considering it was like 6:30 am. We (all except Robby, who unfortunately, was left behind trying to make sure we all made it on the train) made it to Brasov Friday evening and checked into our hostel and walked around town and enjoyed some music festival that was going on. Robby did, in fact, make it only a few ours after us and it all worked out.

Saturday morning we woke up and went on a tour we booked through the hostel where we were taken around to visit some of the different castles in the region.















This was the first castle we visited, Castelul Pelisor. It was by far the most ornate and well-preserved castles on the tour. The area it was set in was the most beautiful, as well.















This is in the castle courtyard. Sometimes I do things because I think they're funny. Sometimes I do things because I know they're funny. A lot of the time I just do things without really knowing whether or not it's funny.















This was the second castle we visited. Supposedly it was Dracula's castle? I'm not sure whoever told me that got that from, but it definitely wasn't my favorite.















Vines are cool, I guess, so the castle wasn't a complete waste. Just kidding, I liked it. But seriously, the other castles were better.















The last castle was my favorite because it seemed the most real. Plus they don't yell at you for exploring all over the place and checking out all the ruins. There wasn't a whole lot to see, but it was definitely really sweet. It sat on top of this hill (I guess most castles do, really) and was used as a fortress to protect neighboring villages like 7 or 8 centuries ago.




















Again, I'm not as funny as I think I am a lot of the time.

We got back Saturday evening from our tour and relaxed and then went out and got something to eat. I was pretty exhausted, so I was in bed by like 11pm.















Sunday we went to church. This is us walking down the street from our hostel out to the nearest intersection where we got a taxi to take us to the church building in Brasov.
















Above the city, there is a big "Brasov" sign, shown at the upper right, and there's a gondola, to the left, that can take you up there. We took the gondola up and then hiked back down.















I like hiking.















This is what I look like when I've been sitting on a train for 4 or 5 hours. That's Katie on my right and Michelle M. on my left.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

Glad to see you're still blasting off with books. There wont be a country in the world that hasn't seen you in that shirt. I love it!

Austin and Sara said...

Sweet man. How many of the castles did you pee off of?

Julie said...

Can't wait to see the blood bank shirt and squeeze me mustard shirt too! The pics are great, looks like your trip is off to a good start.

KinseyBug said...

you need to update your blog:)