Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Day In the Life...

Of a BYU Romani intern. So, I'm sorry it's been so long since an update, I just haven't had many photos to add. But, I realized that not everyone really knows what I"m doing here in Romania. So, this is how my day went down today:

7:30 am - I woke up and showered and shaved and had some granola and yogurt for breakfast.
8:30 am - Left with Kinsey and Robby to catch the 20 minute tram to the Dancu apartments, which is where there are 3 orphans that are taken care of by different caretakers that work there in shifts.
9:00 am - 12:00 pm - We basically just played with the kids at Dancu. Kinsey and I started doing our Brigance testing with the kids there, which is an assessment test of a child's development.
12:00-2:00pm - Lunch break, but we didn't get back till 12:40 because the tram took a crazy route today. For lunch, I made some eggs and toast with this spreadable cheese on it. Then Robby made some chicken noodle soup and was like, "Hey, I can't eat all of this, you want some" and I was like "Okay". So I ate it and it was good. Then we left at 1:40pm to walk to the Hospital.
2:00-5:00pm - Our role at the hospital is to change diapers of any children their that have no mothers, and then spend time with them holding them and playing with them and feeding them. So, we pair up usually and divide up which floors and which wings of those floors we'll cover and then go ask the nurses in those "Aveti copii fara mamii?" (pronounced ah-VETS co-PEE FUH-ruh MAH-mee) which means "Do you have any children without mothers?" and get to work. Today I changed a girl's diaper that had a cleft palate. It was my first time changing a poopy diaper and I did it all by myself. It probably took me like 5 minutes, but she didn't cry at all. I wish I could say I didn't get any poop on my hands. . . but I did. Then I went and held my favorite baby, Pamela, who I'm with in the photo. I got to feed her today and I tried to burp her, also, but she wasn't having any of that.
5:20pm- Dinner. I made pasta and fried up some salam (salami). It was pretty good.
6:30 - 9:00 pm - Outreach. Outreach is basically like institute without any teaching. It's just a way for the young members of the church to get together and do stuff. There's always games and popcorn. It's a lot of fun. Tonight I went with Katie and Alicia and we played a Romanian card game that's basically like UNO, but with face cards. I think it's called Mancaua.
9:00-11:00pm Tonight I updated my blog, obviously, but usually I work on homwork and we watch Arrested Development also.

So, that was my day today and that is how it will generally go for the next 3 months. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted with all that we're doing here.

2 comments:

brittna said...

rhett i'm so jealous of you right now

KinseyBug said...

I miss Pamela!